Perspectives - September 2022
By Victoria Woodings
Journey to Zero is our sustainable supply chain solution. Principle is fully committed to conducting business in a way that seeks to meet the needs of the present, in ways that do not compromise the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Principle is certified to ISO 14001 Environmental Management compliance for all our manufacture, distribution and installation activities and to ISO 9001 for Quality Management.
We recognise that protecting and preserving the environment is important to the health, well-being, and prosperity of the people, businesses, and communities we serve. We incorporate environmental stewardship into the ways we do business, including our processes for procuring goods and services. Our approach to greener procurement is to introduce more sustainable practices into the ways we work with our supply chain to achieve improved economic and environmental performance.
Whilst there has been an element of sustainability led activity focused on operational, M&E and FM based initiatives, there is often a lack of consideration into the brand elements and products which create the retail and customer environment.
In 2021 the world took significant steps to appeal for changes to be made, in order for carbon emissions to be reduced and positive impacts to be made to the environment. At Principle we have recognised this immediate need for change and have created an offer which can deliver significant sustainable benefits for our clients.
We have created both in-house solutions, and a supply chain network, across the adjacent categories of spend which focuses on providing sustainable products, fit for purpose within branded environments.
To accompany these product selections, we can deliver the following services, in order to advise our clients and provide credibility to our offer:
• Consultancy and advisory
• Design and engineering
Implementation of our sustainable product options, will reduce carbon emissions of the property footprint network.
Sustainability analysis report
Impact: The impact score is based on the materials used in the equipment. Three impacts are measured...
• Carbon footprint: Total embodied CO2e of the materials used
• Energy footprint: Total cumulative energy demand embodied in the materials
• Water footprint: The water resources used during manufacture and production. These impacts are measured for each material in quantitative terms and then ‘indexed’ against all the possible material choices. Once indexed the impacts are added together
Circularity: Evaluates recyclability, renewability and reusability of the materials and design...
• Deconstruction: Parts designed to be reused or deconstructed for recycling at end of life
• Re-used and refurbished: Parts that have been reused or refurbished for this design
• Recycled content: Material content that has been previously used
• Recyclable: Material that is readily recyclable
• Renewable source: Naturally grown renewable material
• Sustainable sourcing: Materials from sustainably managed sources
• Environmental Product Declaration (EPD): Materials independently registered with an EPD
Efficiency: Measures the running cost and efficiency of lighting and digital systems...
• Lighting: In compliance with EU Regulation on Energy Labelling of Light Sources 2019/2020
• Digital Screens: In compliance with the EU Regulation on Energy Labelling for Electronic Displays (EU) 2019/2013
• Consumption: The total energy used by all electrical components with the installation
• Carbon Footprint: ‘Product Consumption’ measures the total kg CO2e energy of the fixture or installation both on-site and off-site
To find out more about our Journey to Zero please get in touch with us via the Contact form.